Monday, February 2, 2009

Journal Question #2




The United States started a war in Iraq after the 9/11 attacks. Nowadays, 21 countries are participating in this war as part of the coalition the US requested. El Salvador, my homeland, is the only country in Latin America that is sending troops to this war. Why do I want to write about this topic? Well, I want all Americans to know the empathy feel to their people and our loyalty to them.

To my point of view, this war was a huge political mistake and, it became the campaign that Obama took it for granted to win “a new house”. Every rational person in this world wants a better life for their people and almost everybody agree that wars are not the right solution for our nations.

As an example, most Salvadorean as the same as American soldiers belong to the poorest class in society. In the case of a salvadorean soldier, his family is composed by: his parents, his wife and 3 to 5 children. All of them, living in the same shanty and surviving with $1.00 per day or less. Some of our soldiers already returned to El Salvador with physical disabilities. Of course, they have social security but, their lives have been destroyed forever.

According to some local news in my country, the salvadorean government is trying to compensate all the favors that this country had offered to our nation. Some of my friends already participated in this war and they have told me that their contribution in this conflict is basically focused on rebuilding some places in Iraq. I have also heard from another journalist friend that, it is prohibited for them to take photos of down soldiers (I don’t know if this is the right expression to say injured and killed soldiers). The reason, our government does not present statistics of the injured or killed soldier to avoid bad critics. So, can you imagine the life of all the people that depend on these soldiers in my country?

In this respect, I would like Americans to continue pushing their political leaders to stop this war as soon as possible. I know that this is not an easy task but, the word war is the same as to say, sadness, terror, injustice and death. I have experienced a civil war when I was a child and, I also know what the people from America and Iraq are suffering at the moment. So, let our nations live in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment